EHC partnered with Newborn Holistic Ministries in the renovation of a 3-story building for use as community civic space, office space, and art studios. Located at 1947 Pennsylvania Avenue, the building represents the last piece of Newborn Holistic Ministries’ efforts to reclaim all corners of its intersection (at Pennsylvania Avenue and Presstman Street) from vacancy.
Newborn Holistic Ministries works in the Sandtown–Winchester and Upton communities by providing services that will enable residents to meet their material, social, and spiritual needs. In 2000, Newborn created Martha’s Place, a recovery program for women overcoming addiction that offers a certified 6-month residential facility that combines a communal environment with a highly structured recovery program to actively guide 24 women each year in their complete recovery from drug addiction.
The Harris Marcus Center houses studio space for Jubilee Arts, offers civic space for community events (such as meetings, art perfomances and Martha’s Place graduations), and provides office space for Newborn and Martha’s Place staff.
Owner | Newborn Holistic Ministries, Inc.
Architect | Kroiz Architecture
Contractor | Baltimore Green Construction
Funding Sources | Abell Foundation, France-Merrick Foundation, Memorial Episcopal Church, State of Maryland Bond Bill, Vista Hermosa Foundation, BDC Facade Improvement Grant, Maryland DHCD facade grant, Anonymous