Harris Marcus Center
In 2008, Episcopal Housing Corporation partnered with Intersection of Change (formerly Newborn Holistic Ministries) in the renovation of a 3-story building for use as community civic space, office space, and art studio. Located at 1947 Pennsylvania Avenue, the building represents the last piece of Intersection of Change’s efforts to reclaim all corners of its intersection at Pennsylvania Avenue and Presstman Street from vacancy.
IOC works in the Sandtown–Winchester and Upton communities by providing services that will enable residents to meet their material, social, and spiritual needs. In 2000, IOC created Martha’s Place, a recovery program for women overcoming addiction that offers a certified 6-month residential facility that combines a communal environment with a highly structured recovery program to actively guide 24 women each year in their complete recovery from drug addiction.
The Harris Marcus Center houses studio space for Jubilee Arts, offers civic space for community events (such as meetings, arts performances, and Martha’s Place graduations), and provides office space for Newborn and Martha’s Place staff.
The Jubilee Arts program is the cornerstone of the Harris-Marcus center. Founded by Elder C.W. Harris and operated by renowned area jazz musician, Todd Marcus, Jubilee Arts provides a wide range of classes for youth and adults in Sandtown-Winchester, Upton and surrounding neighborhoods. JA offers classes in dance, visual arts, creative writing and ceramics in partnership with the nearby Maryland Institute College of Arts (MICA).